Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Show that you're some swimmer!

Mrs Blethers and I have taken up swimming in the early morning in a vain attempt to ward off the effects of gravity and the march of time on our aged bods. It so happens I have to be in the vicinity of the baths at around 7.30 am these days and since she lives a hop and a skip away, we decided to take the plunge, so to speak (although actual plungeing is strictly verboten and has been ever since I can remember at our baths. There used to be a springboard but you weren't allowed to spring from it).

We both used to be pretty good swimmers in the past, but while she still has a fine style, I swim like an old lady with my head above the water these days. I really must try out some goggles. I just have this problem of feeling blind without my specs or contacts and adding goggles would be like insult to injury. I once tried swimming with contacts in - actually I forgot to take them out - but they swelled up to about the size of saucers and floated away. Driving home was interesting.

BUT - I feel all virtuous and exercised! Getting home to the dogs raring to go for a walk was a bit of a bummer, but I told myself it would be doing me even more good and off we went up the hill. As it turned out, virtue had its reward because I saw a cuckoo clear as anything (it looks a bit like a dissolute kestrel with droopy wings) sitting atop a pine tree. It obliged me by flying across the golf course cucking and ooing so I was able to pinpoint it.

4 comments:

The Music-Maker said...

Ah, swimming. I tend to go to the gym because water and ipods don't really mesh well together. Glad to her you both have a new-found hobby.

Christine McIntosh said...

Naw, Duffy - it'd not new. Just resurrected!

The Music-Maker said...

Oh right! You could combine your new venture... sailing and swimming - now there's a thought! I suppose you would need to find somewhere that won't give you an extra eye...

Di said...

You could combine your new venture... sailing and swimming - now there's a thought!

I'd rather not :p

I'm definitely a fair-weather sailor. Floating about in the sunshine today was just lovely. The dogs are learning that "below" is synonymous with "biscuit" and quite enjoyed themselves as well.