Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Ranty ranty rant!

Oh I so hate bureaucracy! Grr! Gnash!

All I want to do is help out a couple of friends who are over from America by lending them my car for a few weeks. It's an ancient little thing and if I wanted rid of it I'd probably have to pay someone to take it away, but it runs just fine. My friends aren't planning to drive the length and breadth of the country, just around and about where they're staying.

First it didn't pass its MOT, but that had to be sorted anyway and now it is. Last week I phoned my insurance company to ask if it would be possible to have my friend put on the insurance temporarily. I mentioned that he was American and visiting and held a current US driver's license which has always been okay for a hire car and they said, sure, no problem, just phone us with the details when you're ready. Today I phoned with the details and all I got was a 'no'. This despite my friend's impeccable credentials, current clean US license etc etc. Apparently if you don't have a UK license, you can't be insured - even third party, fire and theft which is the minimum standard.

It's enough to make you want to hit someone (the smug b****** on the end of the phone would be a good start).

Pants!

3 comments:

The Music-Maker said...

Super-sized Pants! I hate insurance. I hate it, I hate it, I HATE IT! I have had nothing but trouble trying to find car insurance that does not drain my bank account. Maybe it's time to move insurers?

And here was me thinking you had a swanky car... :-P

Christine McIntosh said...

She has. This is not the Heathbank limo; just its wee poor relation ;-)

The Music-Maker said...

Ah! And here was me thinking that Mrs Heathbank had been sold a dodgy limo...