Thursday, October 26, 2006

In another life . . .

. . . I was a Primary teacher at Calderwood Lodge. Yesterday my pal Ingrid joined the ranks of the officially retired and we gave her a right good send-off. It was splendid to see all the old guard once more, even though few of us are still at Calderwood. It seems to have been taken over by young things in jeans. Trouble is, it seems no time since I was a young thing in jeans. I'm still wearing the jeans . . .

Listening to the gossip I realised how far away from it all I've become; not just school but the whole Jewish yearly round. To my shame I even forgot all about the High Holidays that have just been - it's all fallen off my radar. I need to keep in touch with my Jewish friends more. I was also reminded how much I love Jewish catering - the food at the party was to die for. And yet in another way it was almost as if the intervening four years had never been. Everyone looks just the same and we laughed and joked and reminisced and commiserated the way we always did. I don't want to step back into the past, but it's nice, sometimes, to poke a toe in again.

Talking of toes: I've bought some horribly expensive stuff to zap the wart/verruca/extrusion on my big toe. This is all because I'm too chicken to go to a chiropodist (I have tickly feet - okay?) and the usual wart/verruca/extrusion remedies all contain salicylic acid, which is really aspirin by any other name and gives me a pain in the pinny. Said horribly expensive stuff comes with dire warnings of skin turning black and toes dropping off! Eeek!!

4 comments:

Christine McIntosh said...

Good grief. The things you get up to when I let you out of my sight for a coupla days.
It's bad enough with one of us having toe trouble .......

The Music-Maker said...

Feet - yuk!

My sister is a teacher in Claderwood Primary. Is that anywhere near Calderwood Lodge? I thought you would have had to have been Jewish to teach in a Jewish School - no? In fact... I didn't even know we had Jewish Schools in Scotland! How ignorant am I?!

The Music-Maker said...

Di, hast thou disappeared?

Rich said...

aspirin has an extra acetyl group and is not the same as salicylic acid.