Monday, September 03, 2007

The Colour Purple

It's the time of year when my fingers seem to be permanently stained purple - bramble season is upon us once again. Thirty two years ago next week I was brambling while nine months pregnant, and Number One Son was born the following day, so I always know when to start looking in the hedgerows. This year, they're a wee bit early and the hedges are already groaning with lovely big brambles. The dogs are resigned to their walks being punctuated by their person periodically diving into the bushes and emerging with scratches, purple fingers and a full poo-bag that looks as if I've been cleaning up after an elephant! Yes, the poo-bag that I always carry in my pocket has another use in September.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As for me, I am busy too, but not in the garden, which is turning wild in the absence of my usual gardener (my house-keeper's husband; they are both in Georgia till mid-october), I am currently trying to tidy up the mess I call my house, in preparation of your arrival. I'm throwing away years of old papers and junk of all kind crammed everywhere but the improvement is minimal for I sorely lack room and I'm psychologically unable to get rid of old things as long as I can label them as "potentially useful". Hope you will not feel too much camped; your room is spacious and neat contrary to the rest of the place.

Francis

Anonymous said...

And of course I meant "cramped" and not camped because, as as modest as could be my lodging, still it's not a camping place.

FK