Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Mellow fruitfulness

It's hardly autumn, although some of the trees up the rectory drive seem to think it is and are dropping yellow leaves, but my garden is producing all manner of delicious provender and that makes me very happy. Today I made a summer pudding with a selection of berries (raspberries, wild strawberries, blueberries and the first few precious redcurrants from my new bush) and two rhubarb crumbles. Yesterday we ate new potatoes (Nicola), peas (meteor) and tiny courgettes. I wanted carrots but that would really be cradle-snatching - I'll have to be patient another week at least. My gooseberry bushes are bowed under the weight of fruit and they'll be the next candidates for crumble, pie or maybe just stewed. The early raspberries are nearly done, but the later ones are just beginning. I've frozen the best ones and made jam with the poor relations.

May I just say, YUM!

P.S. The only disappointment is the apple tree which hardly ever bears any fruit and is barren again this year despite a good lot of blossom. Methinks I'll have to get it a little friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been a year since we first met you in Scotland - wish we could be there again to enjoy the labor of your fruits!


Walter.

Christine McIntosh said...

Can I recommend doing the goosegogs in the oven, in a buttery dish, with runny honey and saffron stamens? You finish then off with a sprinkling of sugar and put them under the grill till they begin to colour, and eat them with...mmmm..creme fraiche, greek yogurt ....

I picked mine the other day - needed a pud!