Thursday, February 07, 2008

Completions

I've written my sermon on sin and temptation - hee! Watch out folks!

February seems to be the month for completions. First Michael completed his nursing studies. Those who know Michael's story will realise what a momentous achievement this is and how he has risen above setback after setback to get to this stage. I'm so proud of him.

Then Paul arrived yesterday having finally finished, bound and handed in his thesis. I had a look at his copy of it, which is about 4cm thick with really small writing. Fortunately for me it also contains lots of pretty pictures so I was able to appreciate at least something. Well done Paul - I'm so proud of you too.

And finally, Walter, a writer who stayed with us a couple of years ago and was inspired to write a new book, 'A Song in Stone', by his visit to Scotland, has told me the book is ready. Apparently, I put in an appearance as the hero's granny who also pops up as la vierge noire as part of the story. I should make the most of it since my chances of being anyone else's granny are somewhat slim at present! Anyhow, I'm flattered and amused to have been an inspiration and have thoroughly enjoyed seeing the process of actually writing a novel from inception to completion (not for the faint-hearted!). I'm also quite astounded at the way Walter manages to keep all the threads and facts of the story together in his head and then weave them into a cohesive whole. Amazing.

1 comment:

Christine McIntosh said...

Congratulations to the weans - well done, both of them. (Clever little things :-))